Every Girl Can Play
What is Every Girl Can Play?
Began in 2018 by Rachel Rinaldi, a Thomas Worthington High School student and life-long Worthington athlete, Every Girl Can Play is a program designed to encourage the athletic participation of girls in the Worthington community and provide financial support to female sports participants when needed.
Why is this support needed?
In the Worthington School District 25.6% of students are in financial need. Over 47% of families in Worthington have qualified and are assisted by the free and reduced lunch program. This number has almost doubled since 2012 when only 25 percent of students were on free and reduced lunch. With limited resources, many families are forced to make difficult decisions regarding participation in extracurricular activities.
Every Girl Can Play scholarship funds are available to girls from the Worthington School District participating in a WYB rec sport who demonstrate financial need based upon free and reduced school lunch documentation. If an athlete meets this requirement, the WYB Administrative Director will allocate scholarship funds on a first-come, first served basis. When the account is depleted, no additional scholarship funds will be available or promised until more donations can be solicited. Scholarship funds are available for each eligible participant for one WYB rec sport per season. Follow the steps in the How Do I Get Started? section found below if you would like to apply for a scholarship.
Why does the program only serve girls?
Obviously, it is beneficial for all young people to participate in healthy physical activity. Unfortunately, girls have been historically underserved. Girls’ participation in youth sports has always lagged boys’ participation. Surprisingly, the disparity continues to widen. From 1997 to 2008, 37% of participants in youth sports were female. That number has decreased to 34% in studies since 2008.
What are the benefits of sports participation?
Participation in sports at a young age has proven to help women in all aspects of their lives. The lessons and skills learned in youth athletics go far beyond the sports field. When given the opportunity, these experiences have the power to inspire and fuel girls to do great things throughout their entire lives.
- Young women who participate in sports are 41% more likely to graduate on time and score higher on standardized tests than those who do not.
- Female athletes are less likely to abuse alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Over 50% of girls who participate in athletics note higher levels of self-esteem, body image, and less depression.
- Studies show that female athletes demonstrate lower rates of breast cancer, stroke, and unplanned pregnancies.
- Over 80% of successful businesswomen played sports in high school. Nearly 95% of female CEOs and CFOs were athletes.
How Do I Get Started?
Applicants must demonstrate a financial need through the Worthington School District's Free and Reduced Lunch program. To apply for an Every Girl Can Play scholarship, please follow these steps;
1) Register your daugther for a sport that is currently accepting registrations at that sport's website;
2) Email WYB Administrative Director, Tammy Bryant, at WYBDirector@gmail.com with the following information;
- Your name and contact number
- Your daughter's name
- Sport for which you registered
3) A response will be provided to you prior to the end of the sport registration deadline indicating if Every Girl Can Play funds are currently available and a request for Worthington School District documentation.
How Can I Donate?
There are three ways you can donate to help sustain Every Girl Can Play scholarships.
1) You can simply use the Every Girl Can Play button on the homepage or by clicking HERE to go there directly
2) You can donate when completing your daughter's Girls' Lacrosse registration
3) You can mail a check made out to;
Worthington Youth Boosters
PO Box 703
Worthington, OH 43085
If you or your organization are interested in corporate sponsorships, please contact Rachel Rinaldi at EveryGirlCanPlay@gmail.com. Please note that your donation to Every Girl Can Play may be tax deductible through Worthington Youth Boosters 501c(3) status. Consult your tax advisor for specific instructions.
The goal of Every Girl Can Play is to help as many young girls as possible. Further information regarding the program can be found on the WYB website or under each of the respective girls’ sports programs. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact Rachel Rinaldi at EveryGirlCanPlay@gmail.com.